Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Like Seeds Sown

Look we made the front page of the GBGM Website !!!

So I am now officially a GBGM United Methodist Missionary. Kinda crazy to think that, but hey its gonna be an adventure!

Here is an excerpt from my journal:

Over 3 weeks ago, I came to NYC as a recent college graduate, bored from a summer of nothing much, unsure of what to expect, having answered the call but not sure what that entailed. Now I'm sitting here 3 weeks later in the park looking over the Hudson River, and my emotions have got the best of me...so I have just begun to cry & reflect.

Yesterday all 8 of my fellow US's got on a plane an left NYC to head home. I was supposed to join them, but due to airlines really not liking me I got stuck in NYC for another night. All i really wanted yesterday wa to go home and recuperate a little before beginning the preperation for the big move on Aug. 14th. Yet for some reason I must stay for an additional day.

It was lonely waking up to no roommate, no one to eat breakfast with, and no US-2 to make me laugh. Honestly, I cried int he shower. I think it was because all my emotions of yesterday had been building up and I just let loose. I wasn't at home, so there was nothing to distract me. Naturally I immediately tried to figure out something that would keep me busy all day so I wouldn't get upset or frustrated. I went to Barnes and Nobel, The Strand, the bank...but on my way to lunch I saw this gorgeous old church, Grace Church, and saw a sign that said, "come in, rest and pray". It appealed to me so I went in. The sanctuary was beautiful, it was similar to Duke Chapel only a little smaller. I found a pew and started to rest and pray, to reflect on the last 3 weeks. I think maybe God wanted me to take this time to be by myself, to reflect on what has happened and what is to come, and to rest because there is a long journey ahead of me.

A lot has happened in 3 weeks. So much to cry happy and sad tears about, so much to laugh about, so much to be challenged by, so much to frustrate me, so much joy. I wouldn't trade these last 3 weeks for anything. My ignorance was shattered and there is no turning back not.

I will stand up, I will be an advocate, an activist, a lover, a neighbor, a friend.

And there is no doubt in my mind that my fellow 8 US-2's will do the same. We are in this as a family. As you see in the picture above, these are my brothers and sisters, and we will fight for social justice and liberation for all of God's children.

"If you have come here to help me, you are wasting your time, but if you have come here because your liberation is bound up with mine, then let us work together"

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I just now got your text messages about having to spend an additional night in the city. How lonesome! I'm glad that the extra time helped you to process all that happened these past three weeks. Don't you feel like a different person now than who you were when you arrived at training?

Thanks for all the messages and for the heads-up about Elyse's grandmother. I hope you can enjoy your last few days at "home."