Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Reflections on what Mission is...

We had a speaker come talk to us today about what it means to be in Mission and what Mission is. So here are some random thoughts and things we talked about I thought I would share. First off here is the Wesleyan Prayer that I find is beautiful and want to share it with you...

I am no longer my own but yours.
Put me to what you will; rank me with whom you will.
Put me to doing, put me to suffering.
Let me be employed for you, or laid aside for you, exalted for you, or brought low for you.
Let me have all things; let me have nothing.
I freely and wholeheartedly, yield all things to your pleasure and disposal.
And now, glorious and blessed God, Father, So and Holy Spirit, you are mine and I am ours.
So be it.
And the covenant which I have made on Earth, let it be ratified in Heaven.
Amen.

I just really feel that this is a beautiful call to mission and our life with God.

Mission Is...
  • Multi-directional and polyphonic, multi-centered, not linear
  • moving from the center to the margins because God always moves to the margins
  • linking people, opening the dialogue between the rich and marginalized people
  • to hear the cry of God, identify the "sinned againstness"
  • to scratch where it itches
  • saying NO to alienating people from their culture
  • working WITH the people to address the negative aspects in their areas
  • saying YES to being God's people with all God's people
We also learned a lot about the Israel-Palestine Conflict and I am so thankful I am learning about the injustices that are taking place in this world. I hope I will become and advocate for this and much more. Things are going good...I have had to take a lot of time for myself lately but I am feeling refreshed. We have been here for about 10 days, it feels like 20! But I am glad we still have a lot more to go. This is definitely where I need to be.

No comments: