Friday, July 4, 2008

Off to Training...

And the training begins...I am off to NYC in the morning to begin my training to be a US-2 missionary for the United Methodist Church's General Board of Global Missions. I will be joined in NYC by 8 other recent college graduates, and our 2 supervisors. We will be living in the Alma Matthews House that is owned by the United Methodist Women and is located in Greenwich Village. We will be there for 3 weeks and will be commissioned as missionaries on July 27th, 2008. I am not sure as to exactly what we will be doing throughout training but our boss described training as this:

The goal of training is to encounter issues that you will face during your term of service as well as provide some tools to better equip you for the work you are about to engage in. We will give you methods to process and help you form relationships with those who can be there to support you during your time as a Missionary.
· Expect to form a community of young adults among those who are seeking a similar experience and who share similar passions
· Expect a little spontaneity so bring your flexibility
· Expect days that encourage you
· Expect days that anger you
· Expect to go home with more than you came with so leave room in your suitcase or bring an empty bag
· Expect to want to write stuff down so bring a notebook or journal
· Expect the unexpected


So as I head off I ask for your prayers that I will allow myself to absorb a lot of information, be open to building a wonderful community, be flexible & spontaneous, and grow. I am excited and yet a little nervous. I will post updates and also upload pictures on my phanfare site! Feel free to leave me messages! NYC Here I come!!

Please pray for the other US-2's & their placements...
Elyse Christensen - Atlanta, GA
Krista Dover- Detroit, Michigan
Carolyn Marcus- Superior, Wisconsin
Fawn White- Nome, Alaska
Greg Little - Baltimore, Maryland
Meg Koach - Chicago, Illinois
Sarah Martindell - Salt Lake City, Utah
Bonnie Monk - Alabama

No comments: