Sunday, November 30, 2008

Snow and a Season of Waiting




Today I woke up at 6 to finish this Advent Devotional Book for the kids I work with. I was really exhausted and stressed to get it finished. Yet when I walked outside this morning it was a Winter Wonderland outside:) As you can see from the pictures we had about 3 inches and we are supposed to get another 1-3 tonight. I put on my MP3 player and listened to Christmas music as I trekked across the snow to work so I could print and make copies of the devotional books. On my venture across the snow I fell twice, I really can't stand on anything and then add snow!

The kids really loved the devotionals, especially because they got a CD along with it. In my group today I taught about Advent and how it is a season of waiting, but we must actively wait for the coming of Christ. Below is the devotional for today that I wrote, some of you might have already read this. But if you haven't here you go...

November 30th

Today is the first Sunday of Advent. Advent means coming or arrival. For Christians Advent is a time when we patiently prepare for the coming of Jesus. During Advent we remember how people watched and waited for God to come to earth as Jesus. Also we watch and wait for God to come and work in our world and in our lives.

The Advent wreath is a symbol some Christians use during this season to help prepare for Jesus to come. Each Sunday a different candle is lit to represent the coming of Christ.

Today we light the first Advent candle, prepare your heart by reading this:

We light the first candle of the Advent wreath to remind ourselves to stay awake and watch for signs of God at work in our world. This is a season of actively waiting, so God please help me to find ways I can prepare myself for this season of Advent.

No comments: