Thursday, March 12, 2009

The Summons

On Tuesday, at my Grad study we were reflection on what Redemption is and what it means to us. We were supposed to spend some time looking through hymns to find one that spoke to us on what we think redemption is. I picked The Summons from The Faith We Sing Book that the United Methodists have. Honestly at first I just picked this song because it is one of my favorites. But after I started to reflect on it I realized that this is very much my view of redemption. It might not be yours but I feel that redemption is that Jesus showed us through his life and ultimate sacrifice that we are to continue the work of his redeeming love for us by setting others free and seek justice throughout our lives. I love this song because it is like God speaking to us and summoning us to do his work in the world and let him transform us. All of the Verses are in question form except for the last, as to leave it in our hands, he has redeemed us but now the ball is in our court. And the last verse "we" answer and say that we will go forth and never be the same, we will go where his footsteps show and we will continue to grow. Take some time today to reflect on the words of this song and maybe take some time to think about what redemption means to you.

The Summons

Will you come and follow me if I but call your name?
Will you go where you don't know and never be the same?
Will you let my love be shown,
will you let my name be known,
will you let my life be grown in you and you in me?

Will you leave yourself behind if I but call your name?
Will you care for cruel and kind and never be the same?
Will you risk the hostile stare, should you life attract a scare?
Will you let me answer prayer in your and you in me?

Will you let the blinded see if I but call your name?
Will you set the prisoners free and never be the same?
Will you kiss the leper clean,
and do such as this un-seen?
and admit to what I mean in you and you in me?

Will you love the "you" you hide if I but call your name?
Will you quell the fear inside and never be the same?
Will you ue the faith you've found,
to re-shape the world a-round,
through my sight and touch and sound in you and you in me?

Lord, your summons echoes true when you but call my name
Let me turn and follow you and never be the same
In your company I'll go, where you love and footsteps show
Thus I'll move and live and grow in you and you in me

No comments: