Monday, March 2, 2009

One

As I shared with you on Sunday, Bart Campolo shared a story of the drug dealer in his neighborhood who he has gotten to know and love, who now stands up and with arms open wide he embraces him each time he sees him. That image has been going through my mind over and over the last few days. I am trying to figure out how this applies to my life, my church, my work. I was looking through some song lyrics for songs that I feel really portray this idea of open arms and unconditional love. I came across a song that I have shared with some of you, and actually one of you is the one who wrote it! This is a song by my dear friend Kelly McRell. She has a lovely soul and the words she shares below are from her heart. She wrote this after coming back from a service trip to Bolivia for a month. Her message goes beyond borders, with the theme that we are all "one". The chorus...
we come from one world/ million miles apart / let us bridge the gap so we may shine out the light /with your open arms and your heart filled with love/ you have opened my eyes to see we are one.


Reflect upon the song below and spend the day figuring out how the image of "open arms" can be applied to your life during this Season of Lent and beyond (feel free to share these with me!):

One – by Kelly McRell

I came to this place with my ego held high
what i needed to bring was my humility's light
we are all born with desire
passion burning bright
with ability to light others like the stars light up the night

we come from one world
million miles apart
let us bridge the gap so we may shine out the light
with your open arms and your heart filled with love
you have opened my eyes to see we are one

we are one people we have one sky
we must work with each other if we want to get by
we are sisters we are brothers
mothers and fathers
let us stand up today and unite as one

I can see through your eyes and i know where you’ve been
I can see your children and know where you’re going
I can see you hands and see your life’s work


http://www.myspace.com/KellyEllyMcRelly **You can listen to the song at this link!

No comments: